The first and most complete application of the Garmin store for windsurfing, kitesurfing, hydrofoiling, kitefoiling and snowkiting.
Twelve complete screens are available:
- screen 1: main screen (current, average, and max speeds, heading, wind axis + efficiency angle upwind / downwind, altitude, elapsed distance, accelerometer, chronometer, as well as the count of the calculation of the 10s. and 30s. runs
- screen 2: the accelerometer, last and best 10s. run, last and best 30s.run, average and max speeds, the heart rate and the number of jibes realized
- screen 3: rather dedicated to kitesurfing, 3 arcs of jumps (the best ever, the best of the session, the last realized), as well as the corresponding values for the best of the session and the last jump made, a horizontal colored bar representing the efficiency angle upwind (0 to -90 °) or downwind (0 to 90 °), green = ideal angle, orange = average angle, red = angle too close.
- screen 4: screen for more technical navigation conditions, showing the wind efficiency, and the current speed as well as its gauge in relation to the maximum speed of the session plus the average speed cursor
- screen 5: compass with wind efficiency
- screen 6: virtual partner + average speeds over 500-meter runs
- screen 7: topo map representing your location (for models equipped with maps feature)
- screen 8: graph representing your best speed in each angle of efficiency versus wind
- statistical screen 9: the best of all scores, all sessions combined
- statistical screen 10: the total of some data + stats, all sessions combined
- end session screens (11 and 12): display a summary of the main data obtained during the session
Jumps are actually triggered and calculated either by the accelerometer or the barometric altitude (option to select in the options menu of the app).
In the FIT file, the following data are saved:
- speed, in km / h or knots, if this speed is equal or higher than the chosen planing speed (graphic)
- the height of jumps, in meters or feet (saved as a new lap)
- acceleration, in g (graph)
- the efficiency of the upwind and downwind angle (graph)
- the jibes speed (graph)
- the size of the sails / wings used during the session (graph)
- the ratio of your speed over the wind speed, if it has been set (graph)
- the wind speed, if it has been set (graph)
- the average speed, in km / h or knots (summary)
- the maximum speed, in km / h or knots (summary)
- the height and airtime for the best jump of the session (summary)
- the best speed on a 10s. run (summary)
- the best speed on a 30s. run (summary)
- the best average speed and best chrono over 15 customizable distances (only for high memory devices)
- the best average speed on an Alpha500 challenge (if this data exists)
- the jibe score for each jibe done (saved as a new lap)
- the average jibe score for all the session (summary)
- the maximum acceleration of the session (summary)
- your own feeling of the session (score ranking)
Note: all the options set in the menu are permanently saved into the watch so, no need to configure them each time you launch the application.
Given its complexity and time spent developing, the price of this application is set to 16 US dollars, or 20 to 25 times cheaper than a North PIQ or WOO 3.0 sensor so, it makes sense to have this kind of application on Garmin devices.
For further detailed explanations, you can consult the detailed images below.
Despite all the care taken in this application, it could remain some hidden bugs, or possible malfunctions. Therefore, thank you to contact me directly by email to inform me rather than posting bad comments on the site, I will then do what is necessary to fix the issue as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.
My warmest thanks to Giuseppe for all the tests he has done in the Neapolitan Sea, his valuable advice on kitesurfing as well as his wise and relevant suggestions, as well as Stijn for the few tests done in Spain. Thanks to them.
Currently unemployed, I develop applications for the Garmin community to stay active and "in the wind".
The paid version can be unlocked via my Paypal account (see the link above), with the possibility to pay with credit cards too.
Don't forget to mention the name of the application, JMG-APP Wind-Kite Surfing, your gender (0= female, 1 = male), your birth year and your height mentioned in your Garmin profile, in your PayPal comment.
Please, feel free to enjoy !
there are 2 major versions of this application, one for low-RAM models (LOW version), and another for models with higher memory capacity (HIGH version).
- LOW version -> Bravo + Titanium D2, ForeAthlete 735XTJ, Forerunner 230, 235, 630 and 735XT, Forerunner 920XT, Fenix 3 + Quatix + Tactix, Fenix 3HR, Vivoactive + Vivo HR. The features of this version are described on the app's explanation page on the Garmin Connect app website
- HIGH version -> all other watch models. This category is itself divided into 2 subgroups, one for models with 124 KB of memory, and the other for models with 1024 KB of memory. Here, the difference between these two groups lies essentially in the absence of Race / Competition mode management for the first subgroup.
In order to take full advantage of the full potential of this application, I suggest you, as far as possible, to acquire and use a model with at least 124 KB of memory.
Entering the activation code
- for users who have received an activation code, and who can not enter it directly through the integrated menu of the application, it must be entered in the settings of the application using Garmin Connect or Garmin Express applications (DON’T USE THE COPY-PASTE METHOD). Then save the changes, disconnect the watch and launch the application
- otherwise, you can enter the activation code directly from the application's menu: menu -> Options -> Miscellaneous -> Activation Code -> Unlock Code
Preparing and using the app
- launch the app, as any other Garmin app
- then, you have to select the type of practice (kitesurf, windsurf, etc), in the menu options
- you can get the axis of the wind otherwise you will not have access to calculate the efficiency of your trajectory in relation to the wind; this is done by an operation depending your watch model:
• touchscreen models -> general menu then menu "Get Wind Axis"
• models that do not include the management of the advanced control buttons -> long press on the DOWN key
• models with advanced control button management -> long press on the LAP key
- then enter the wind speed (in knots or km/h, option to select in the options menu), if you know it. This will allow you to get charts showing your speed over wind speed ratio, and the one of the wind speed simply; knowing that, if the conditions were to change during the session, it is possible at any time to enter a new value corresponding better to the actual wind speed, or the one you feel. By the way, if you did not enter this wind speed value, the application will work fine, but you will not get these 2 corresponding graphs
- then, select a sail / wing in your quiver (the selection is automatic depending on the type of practice selected), or use the calculator that will give you a better idea of the size to choose according to the wind, if you doubt of your choice (see below Quiver Management).
- finally, you can choose and select all other desired options (units, background color, etc.), at any time
- once those "calibrations" have been done, you can start the timer by pressing the START key. However, make sure that the calibration of the initial altitude
is done before (small green horizontal bar on the 1st screen) otherwise, the calculation of the height of the jumps will not be accurate (this procedure is
automatic and is updated at regular intervals throughout the session to correct any differences due to atmospheric pressure)
- scrolling screens is achieved by simply clicking the UP or DOWN key
- you can pause the session by pressing the START key then "Pause" menu, and resume recording with a second press on the same key then, "Resume" menu (pause = orange dots, active = green dots, stop = red dots)
- for touchscreen models, the pause mode is executed by pressing the START key and then selecting Pause in the menu; to resume the session, you can slide your finger on the screen to the right, or enter the menu again by pressing the START button and select Resume. You have the possibility, in the options menu of the application, to choose to use an automatic pause mode, which will take effect as soon as you take a break (or your speed is less than 1 m/s). This automatic mode also works in automatic restart mode of the session which, when you resume your session and your speed exceeds 1 m/s, will then automatically start, so you do not have to press the BACK button every time you stop or resume your session
- to end the session, you press the START key, a menu appears, proposing you either to reject or save the session. Then, 2 summary screens will be proposed to you, summarizing the main data of the session
- to quit the application in stop mode (when no session has been started), click on the LAP button, not on the START button
- the current time is displayed in the following 3 modes: when the session is waiting for launching, in pause mode, and in the minimalist screen otherwise, the timer is displayed.
You have the option to reset two types of data:
Note that the reset is an irreversible function, all data will be lost after this action.
In order to have the time permanently displayed on screen, you can activate the minimalist screen: this screen presents the essentials and the minimum information, with an extended font (time, chrono, current speed, and the arc of efficiency of the wind + cap followed - as on the screen compass but in a simpler way). It is easily readable during navigation, especially for riders with visual weakness and who can not wear their glasses in navigation.
This screen is activated in the menu of the application - Options -> Display Screens -> Essential Wide -> Activate on/off
When it is activated, it is displayed when the session is started and therefore active. When you put the session in pause mode, the screen disappears to make room for all other screens, so you can, for example, see your performance / detailed information when you pause the session. When you restart your session, the minimalist screen reappears again.
Note: when you have just jumped, the height of the jump is automatically displayed on screen for 10 seconds (the value is then circled by 2 white / black dots to better distinguish the difference from the value of the speed ). This allows you to visualize the height of your jump just after this one, serenely. If, during this period of 10 seconds, another jump is detected and its height is greater than the one displayed, the new height will then be displayed for a new period of 10 seconds otherwise, in case of a lower jump, it is always the value of the previous jump which remains displayed, until the end of the 10 seconds.
Before starting a session, you should first, and preferably, have organized your quiver by adding the sails / wings / fins / foils that you own. Then, before starting your session, you select the sail / wing and fin / foil that you are going to use and so, this choice will be saved in the FIT file and displayed in the activity summary as a graph. Note that you can of course change the sail / wing and fin / foil during the session if the sailing conditions change, which eventually happens relatively regularly, or if you want to compare your performances over several kind of materials.
The management of the quiver integrates a recommended surface calculator: this calculator works in both directions:
1- you enter the wind speed, it offers 3 recommended sizes (a mini, an ideal and a maxi) and, if your quiver is already set, it offers one or two sails framing the ideal recommended size
2- or, you enter a sail size (or select one from your quiver), and the calculator tells you which wind ranges you can navigate with this sail
Management of Run Distances - Speed racing + competition mode
This feature allows you to run on predefined or distances therefore, to perform speed racing or participate in competitions, such as the Wind Challenge for example.
This feature is only available for devices with user memory > 1024 Ko.
This mode offers you the possibility:
- either enter a predefined distance (you can store up to 20), and run on one of these distances
- or run on a distance not determined in advance (free), new distance which will then be stored in the same list (always in the limit of 20)
- start a countdown, going from an immediate duration (duration = 0) to 10 minutes before the start (or the line marking the beginning of the distance to run)
you start the session as usual (START button) then, at the desired moment, you press the LAP button, which will initiate calculations on the distance (chrono + best average speed); if you compete on a free distance, and to end the race, you press the LAP button again, which will stop the timer; if you compete within a predetermined distance, the timer will automatically stop when you have reached the distance (so you do not need to press the LAP key) however, you still have the option to end the chrono manually by pressing the button LAP.
If you have set a countdown, at the start of the countdown by pressing the LAP button, you will see a countdown corresponding to the time you entered in the menu, and whose representation differs depending on the screen on which you you are:
- on the main screen -> the count appears in the 2 blue zones, at the bottom and on both sides of the screen with, the minutes on the left and the seconds on the right
- on the minimalist screen -> the counting appears on the bottom zone, black text on blue sky background;
When the countdown comes to an end, the normal display returns to its place on both screens.
While scrolling the countdown, there may be a lag of one second or more between the full minute of the countdown and the official flag raising. In this case, you now have the possibility to resynchronize the count with this flag raising: you just have to press the START button when the count is close to a full minute, and this one goes automatically set back or up on the full minute.
At any time, you have the possibility to view the history of all the scores made on each of the distances recorded and on which you have competed. To do this, you must go to the corresponding menu (Race - Distances - Settings -> Scores), giving you access to the list, which includes:
- distance indication (in kms / miles or nautical miles)
- the sail / wing and the wing that you used on that distance
- best time and best average speed over the whole distance
Please note that:
- if you run several times on the same distance, only the best lap / fastest lap times are stored in memory.
- for the quiver to be recorded simultaneously with the performance, it is still necessary that you have previously selected the sail / wing surface and the fin used otherwise, none of these 2 data will be recorded. Do not forget to do this before each race otherwise, this data will not appear.
- if you run a greater distance than others in the list, the best chronos + speeds will also be calculated and recorded for these distances, even in free distance mode (if the distance traveled is greater than one of the other lower distances, of course). This is done on the principle of "who can do most can least", based on the observation that if you have run a distance D, you have also traveled all the distances recorded in the list and which are less than D.
- if you select a distance equal to D, and stop the timer manually by pressing the LAP button before reaching this distance, no score calculation will be performed
- once you have started the countdown timer, you will not be able to cancel it (you will have to wait until the end of the countdown to stop the timer
- once you have started the timer integrating countdown, you have the possibility to reset it by pressing the LAP button again, giving you the opportunity to readjust the situation according to the race conditions
- the corrected altitude value on the main screen will then be replaced by the ratio between your current speed and the max speed reached since the beginning of the chrono
Explanations on the submenu of the Race menu
- Set or Select Distance Distance -> allows you to create new distances, select / delete distances, or delete all distances
- Free distance -> activated, you will compete on an indeterminate distance so, free; deactivated, you will compete on a distance that you have previously selected in your list
- Countdown -> allows you to set the duration of the countdown, from 0 mn (immediate) to 10 mn
- Data to Display -> on the Virtual Partner screen, and on the Hall and end of session screens, you have the possibility to display either the chronos or the best speeds (knowing that anyway, the 2 data are automatically saved in the FIT file so that you can be seen afterwards in your session summary on your Garmin Connect profile)
- Alpha500 -> if this option is checked, it is the calculation data of the Alpha500 that will be displayed on the screen of the Virtual Partner, in place of the chrono (or better speed) over a distance
- Scores -> visualization of the results for each of the distances for which a scoring calculation could be carried out
- new option for the minimalist screen: I have also added a new option in the menu of the minimalist screen, allowing you to display the chrono (in large characters) alternately with one of the 3 speeds proposed (so you have now the choice between 3 speeds + 2 additional data)
- additional notes:
1- if you have not created any custom distances, and did not selected the free race mode, the start by pressing the LAP key will not be generated
2- If you have created distances but do not select any for the current session, this will be the first distance from the list that will be used for the automatic calculation of the best speed.