The first and most complete application of the Garmin store for kitesurfing, windsurfing, hydrofoiling, witefoil and snow kite
Heigh complete screens are available:
- screen 1: main screen (current, average, and max speeds, heading, wind axis + efficiency angle upwind / downwind, altitude, elapsed distance, accelerometer, chronometer, as well as the count of the calculation of the 10s. and 30s. runs
- screen 2: the accelerometer, last and best 10s. run, last and best 30s.run, average and max speeds, the heart rate and the number of jibes realized
- screen 3: rather dedicated to kitesurfing, 3 arcs of jumps (the best ever, the best of the session, the last realized), as well as the corresponding values for the best of the session and the last jump made, a horizontal colored bar representing the efficiency angle upwind (0 to -90 °) or downwind (0 to 90 °), green = ideal angle, orange = average angle, red = angle too close.
- screen 4: screen for more technical navigation conditions, showing the wind efficiency, and the current speed as well as its gauge in relation to the maximum speed of the session plus the average speed cursor
- screen 5: compass with wind efficiency
- screen 6: virtual partner + average speeds over 500-meter runs
- screen 7: topo map representing your location (for models equipped with maps feature)
- screen 8: graph representing your best speed in each angle of efficiency versus wind
- statistical screen 9: the best of all scores, all sessions combined
- statistical screen 10: the total of some data + stats, all sessions combined
- end session screens (11 and 12): display a summary of the main data obtained during the session
Jumps are actually triggered and calculated either by the accelerometer or the barometric altitude (option to select in the options menu of the app).
In the FIT file, the following data are saved:
- speed, in km / h or knots, if this speed is equal or higher than the chosen planing speed (graphic)
- the height of jumps, in meters or feet (graphic)
- acceleration, in g (graph)
- the efficiency of the upwind and downwind angle (graph)
- the jibes speed (graph)
- the size of the sails / wings used during the session (graph)
- the ratio of your speed over the wind speed, if it has been set (graph)
- the wind speed, if it has been set (graph)
- the average speed, in km / h or knots (summary)
- the maximum speed, in km / h or knots (summary)
- the height and airtime for the best jump of the session (summary)
- the best speed on a 10s. run (summary)
- the best speed on a 30s. run (summary)
- the best average speed on a 500-meter run
- the jibes score (summary)
- the maximum acceleration of the session (summary)
Note: all the options set in the menu are permanently saved into the watch so, no need to configure them each time you launch the application.
Given its complexity and time spent developing, the price of this application is set at 13 Euros / 16 US dollars, or 20 to 25 times cheaper than a North PIQ or WOO 3.0 sensor so, it makes sense to have this kind of application on Garmin devices.
For further detailed explanations, you can consult the detailed images below.
Despite all the care taken in this application, it could remain some hidden bugs, or possible malfunctions. Therefore, thank you to contact me directly by email to inform me rather than posting bad comments on the site, I will then do what is necessary to fix the issue as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.
My warmest thanks to Giuseppe for all the tests he has done in the Neapolitan Sea, his valuable advice on kitesurfing as well as his wise and relevant suggestions, as well as Stijn for the few tests done in Spain. Thanks to them.
Currently unemployed, I develop applications for the Garmin community to stay active and "in the wind".
Don't forget to mention the name of the application, JMG-APP Wind-Kite Surfing, your gender (0= female, 1 = male), your birth year and your height mentioned in your Garmin profile, in your PayPal comment.
Please, feel free to enjoy !
Entering the activation code
- for users who have received an activation code, and who can not enter it directly through the integrated menu of the application, it must be entered in the settings of the application using Garmin Connect or Garmin Express applications (DON’T USE THE COPY-PASTE METHOD). Then save the changes, disconnect the watch and launch the application
- otherwise, you can enter the activation code directly from the application's menu: menu -> Options -> Miscellaneous -> Activation Code -> Unlock Code
Preparing and using the app
- launch the app, as any other Garmin app
- then, you have to select the type of practice (kitesurf, windsurf, etc), in the menu options
- you can get the axis of the wind otherwise you will not have access to calculate the efficiency of your trajectory in relation to the wind; this is done by opening the menu by pressing the UP button
- then enter the wind speed (in knots or km / h, option to select in the options menu), if you know it. This will allow you to get charts showing your speed over wind speed ratio, and the one of the wind speed simply; knowing that, if the conditions were to change during the session, it is possible at any time to enter a new value corresponding better to the actual wind speed, or the one you feel. By the way, if you did not enter this wind speed value, the application will work fine, but you will not get these 2 corresponding graphs
- then, select a sail / wing in your quiver (the selection is automatic depending on the type of practice selected), or use the calculator that will give you a better idea of the size to choose according to the wind, if you doubt of your choice (see below Quiver Management).
- finally, you can choose and select all other desired options (units, background color, etc.), at any time
- once those "calibrations" have been done, you can start the timer by pressing the START key. However, make sure that the calibration of the initial altitude
is done before (small green horizontal bar on the 1st screen) otherwise, the calculation of the height of the jumps will not be accurate (this procedure is
automatic and is updated at regular intervals throughout the session to correct any differences due to atmospheric pressure)
- scrolling screens is achieved by pressing the DOWN key
- you can pause the session by pressing the LAP key, and resume recording with a second press on the same key (pause = orange dots, active = green dots,
stop = red dots) - For touchscreen models, the pause mode is executed by pressing the START key and then selecting Pause in the menu; to resume the session, you can slide your finger on the screen to the right, or enter the menu again by pressing the START button and select Resume. You have the possibility, in the options menu of the application, to choose to use an automatic pause mode, which will take effect as soon as you take a break (or your speed is less than 1 km/h). This automatic mode also works in automatic restart mode of the session which, when you resume your session and your speed exceeds 1 km/h, will then automatically start, so you do not have to press the BACK button every time you stop or resume your session
- to end the session, you press the START key, a menu appears, proposing you either to reject or save the session. Then, 2 summary screens will be proposed to you, summarizing the main data of the session
- to quit the application in stop mode (when no session has been started), click on the LAP button, not on the START button
- the current time is displayed in the following 3 modes: when the session is waiting for launching, in pause mode, and in the minimalist screen otherwise, the timer is displayed.
You have the option to reset two types of data:
Note that the reset is an irreversible function, all data will be lost after this action.
In order to have the time permanently displayed on screen, you can activate the minimalist screen: this screen presents the essentials and the minimum information, with an extended font (time, chrono, current speed, and the arc of efficiency of the wind + cap followed - as on the screen compass but in a simpler way). It is easily readable during navigation, especially for riders with visual weakness and who can not wear their glasses in navigation.
This screen is activated in the menu of the application - Options -> Display Screens -> Essential Wide -> Activate on/off
When it is activated, it is displayed when the session is started and therefore active. When you put the session in pause mode, the screen disappears to make room for all other screens, so you can, for example, see your performance / detailed information when you pause the session. When you restart your session, the minimalist screen reappears again.
Before starting a session, you should first, and preferably, have organized your quiver by adding the sails / wings that you own. Then, before starting your session, you select the sail / wing that you are going to use and so, this choice will be saved in the FIT file and displayed in the activity summary as a graph. Note that you can of course change the sail / wing during the session if the sailing conditions change, which eventually happens relatively regularly.
The management of the quiver integrates a recommended surface calculator: this calculator works in both directions:
1- you enter the wind speed, it offers 3 recommended sizes (a mini, an ideal and a maxi) and, if your quiver is already set, it offers one or two sails framing the ideal recommended size
2- or, you enter a sail size (or select one from your quiver), and the calculator tells you which wind ranges you can navigate with this sail