A complete application to manage all your sessions involving the repeated use of courses or downhill skiing, snowboarding, snowfeet, cross-country skiing, downhill mountain biking, longboarding on the road, etc.
It is available in 4 languages (English, French, Spanish, Italian) for models with at least 1024 KB of useful memory, and only in English for models with a lower memory.
The main advantage of this application is to allow you to record courses or descents that you practice regularly and, thus, to be able to compare your performances each time you make a session on these same courses or descents, all of almost automated way!
You can automatically generate or manually create up to 20 different courses, which will be then stored permanently on the watch.
However, you do not need to use this feature, you can also use the application as a complete recording of your session, which will then contain all the important data stored in the FIT file.
Read below the How To in the procedure section.
Seven screens are available:
- screen 1: Main screen (current speed, the altitude you are in, the temperature, the total distance traveled, the speed threshold indicator selected, the time in stop / pause mode, or the chrono mode walk, and the GPS signal quality indicator (green = good, orange = medium, red = poor or nonexistent), and the type of activity in progress (as an icon)
- screen 2: screen of the current session (temperature reminder, heart rate with colored FC zones, times of ride and transition periods, distances of ride and transition periods, average and max speeds of the session, the positive and negative elevations on the session) -> see the descriptive image below for more explanations
- screen 3: graphical representation of the performances on a course or descent recorded in the list of courses, with the addition of the time (in the format 12/24 hours) and the current speed -> see the descriptive image ci below for more explanations
- screen 4: encrypted performances for a course or a descent selected in the list -> see the descriptive image below for more explanations
- screen 5 of the global statistics: the total duration of all sessions combined, the total distance, the maximum speed, all sessions combined, and the total time and distance data for ridden and transition periods
- screen 6: map of the geographical area where you are located (make sure to choose in advance the ski detailed map in the map settings of your watch, if it has this feature, when you practice a winter activity)
- end-of-session screen: displays a summary of the main data obtained during the session
In the FIT file, the following data are saved:
- speed (graph, Garmin default data)
- altitude (graph, Garmin default data)
- the negative and positive elevations (summary, Garmin default data)
- caloric expenditure during the session (summary, given by default Garmin)
- the total duration + total distance of the ridden period (summary)
- the total duration + total distance of the transition period (summary)
- the difficulty of the session (summary)
- the notation of the session (summary)
- each run / descent performed is recorded as a lap with, as recorded data, the chrono, the average speed and the max speed
Note: all the options set in the menu are permanently saved into the watch so, no need to configure them each time you launch the application.
Given its complexity and time spent developing, the price of this application is set to 13 US dollars.
For further detailed explanations, you can consult the detailed images below.
Despite all the care taken in this application, it could remain some hidden bugs, or possible malfunctions. Therefore, thank you to contact me directly by email to inform me rather than posting bad comments on the site, I will then do what is necessary to fix the issue as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.
Currently unemployed, I develop applications for the Garmin community to stay active and in the wind.
The paid version can be unlocked via my Paypal account (see the link above), with the possibility to pay with credit cards too.
Don't forget to mention the name of the application, JMG-APP Downhills, your gender (0= female, 1 = male), your birth year and your height mentioned in your Garmin profile, in your PayPal comment.
Please, feel free to enjoy !
Entering the activation code
for all watch models, the activation code is entered directly from the application menu:
menu -> Options -> Activation Code -> Unlock Code
Behavior of the application:
-> downhill activities
- at the bottom of the resort / downhill, before going to the chairlift or going up the slope, you start the session by pressing the START key, this initiates the calculation of the so-called transition period (period during which you do not ride, but which nonetheless counts as session time)
- then, you climb up the slopes, comfortably installed on your seat. Arrived at the top, you position yourself at the beginning of what you consider as your descent then, you press the LAP key of the watch in order to start the calculation, and you run for your descent. At the end of it, you stop completely, then the calculation stops automatically too, and the chrono, descent speed and max speed data are automatically recorded for this descent; the active course then becomes the descent you have just performed
- thus, if you want to go up again to make the same descent, the data calculation will start automatically when you reach the same starting point (no need to press the LAP key again), and so on. Each descent is recorded in the FIT file as a lap, giving you the ability to view Garmin Connect's performance on each descent.
- to end the session, you just have to press the START key and choose to save the session or not (in case of backup, you will have the possibility to indicate the difficulty of the session (or the difficulty of the downhill, or a general difficulty level), as well as your general feeling about the day's session
- in this mode, the auto-pause feature is disabled by default, just because you are not supposed to take a break during your downhill ride !
-> other flat or non downhill activities
- start the session by pressing the START key at the beginning of your session
- once you arrive at the start of what you consider as your course, you press the LAP key to start the calculation of the data
- you ride on your course; you can enable the auto-pause feature in the Option -> Speed Settings when you want to take a break, the application starts automatically when you are get speed again
- at the end of the trip, press the LAP key again to stop the calculation; chrono data, course speed and max speed are automatically recorded for this route
- if you want to do this route again, you just have to select it in the list of your courses, start the calculation by pressing the LAP key but, unlike the first record, the calculation will end automatically when you have reaches the final distance of the course, so there is no need here to press the LAP key again
- to end the session, you just have to press the START key and choose to save the session or not (in case of backup, you will have the possibility to indicate the difficulty of the session (for example if you skied a blue or red, or rather black, run, or general difficulty level), as well as your general feeling about the day's session
For these three types of activity, another day after, when you want to compete on a course / downhill recorded in your list of courses, then simply choose it and select it from this list, start the session down the station, and let the app do the rest!
In all cases, a default name is assigned automatically to the new course / descent, name that you can change later at your convenience (15 alphanumeric characters maximum) to better characterize each of your routes / descents.
Preparing the app
- launch the application, like any other application
- first, you should set the application to your needs (background color, units, etc.). To do this, enter the application menu (long press the UP button) and select the parameters at your convenience. All the choices made in the menu are permanently stored on the watch so there is no need to re-enter them each time the application is launched
- it is also up to you to choose the kind of your activity, and to determine a minimum speed threshold that will differentiate the transition periods from the ridden periods (Options -> Speed - Settings menu). This speed threshold must correspond to the estimated speed of the ski lift that you are able to take, or the maximum speed at which you will climb the slope to join the start of your descent
- the Wide Screen allows you to have only the essential displayed on the screen, in larger font (this can be useful especially for people with eyesight difficulties, or wishing to focus on the essentials of displayed data). This screen is fully configurable, with the possibility to display 4 data for the top and bottom fields, and 2 for the middle field. Also, you can set a retroactive display delay when the application is paused (the minimal screen remains displayed for a few more seconds to allow you time to view the data displayed before returning to the other screens of the application). See image below for more details.
- finally, launch the session by pressing the START key
Using the app
- scrolling screens is achieved by simply clicking the UP or DOWN keys
- you can pause the session by pressing the START key then "Pause" menu, and resume recording with a second press on the same key then, "Resume" menu
(pause = orange dots, active = green dots, stop = red dots)
- to end the session, you press the START key, a menu appears, proposing you to either reject or save the session. Then, a summary screen will be proposed to you, summarizing the main data of the session
- to quit the application in stop mode (when no session has been started), click on the LAP button, not on the START button
- the current time is displayed in the following 3 modes: when the application is waiting to be started, in pause mode, and in the minimalist screen otherwise, the timer is displayed.
- the course menu allows you to manage all your routes / descents recorded permanently into the watch. This menu allows you to:
You have the option to reset two types of data:
Note that the reset is an irreversible function, all data will be lost after this action.
Assignment of values / scores
This feature allows you to manually assign a value to the data displayed on the "Stats" screen. This can be useful for example in the case of a replacement / change of your watch, and you do not want to lose all of your global statistics. The data entry follows the same order as the data displayed on the "Stats" screen, to simplify your input.
In order to have the time permanently displayed on the screen, you can activate the minimalist screen: this screen presents the essentials and the minimum information, with an extended font (time, chrono, current speed, and colored arches - see the meaning of these arcs on the descriptive image below). This screen is easily readable during navigation, especially for surfers with a visual weakness and who can not wear their glasses in navigation.
This screen is activated in the application menu - Options -> Essential Wide ->Activate on/off
When it is activated, it is displayed when the session is started and therefore active. When you put the session in pause mode, this screen disappears to make room for all other screens, so you can, for example, see your performance / detailed information when you pause. When you restart your session, the minimalist screen reappears again.